Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rice Dosa




I love dosas and i hate idlies.....:-)
My mom's dosas are the best....
After marriage i have been trying hard to make dosas like that of my mom's....it was always a failure...dosas came out good..but they never resembled my mom's....i took tips from my mom,but still i failed...the ratios i used to take were 1:4,1:3 and even 1:2...ie the urad dal to rice ratio...
I even bought a "dosakkallu' from kerala...then i thought it might be because of hyd's climate....
But one fine day,i experimented with kerala red rice and sona masoori rice mixture....and ..i got what i wanted....my mom's dosa....
so here goes the recipe...
Ingredients
Sona masoori rice or idly rice -3 cups
Kerala red rice (or puzhukkalari in malayalam)-1 cup
Urad dal-1 cup
(methi seeds-6or 7..soak with red rice)-Optional

Soak each of the ingredients in water for 8 hrs..Grind them and make into a fine and smooth batter.Keep it overnight for fermenting...and in the morning u can mix salt and loosen the batter and make crispy dosas..
Again the secret of crispiness goes like this....
heat the tawa....let it become very hot..then wipe it wit a cloth dipped in til oil.sprinkle water on the tawa and spread the batter in concentric circles...and add ghee or oil .I cook both sides of dosa for crispiness and that too in low flame...
so..thats all for now...there r more dosas to come...so bye bye...

2 comments:

  1. That rice dosa looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. edi dashe .. yenikku kothiyayittu vayya ..
    almost 8 months ayi njan dosa kazichittu .. :(

    ReplyDelete